Skip to main content

University Ombudsman

University Ombudsman
The university has an Ombudsman, who is appointed by the President for a three-year term. The Ombudsman is a designated neutral, neither an employee nor a management advocate. In addition to the explicit responsibilities detailed below, the Ombudsman is empowered to develop procedures, consistent with this policy, to facilitate the timely and equitable adjudication of faculty grievances and, via the Faculty Senate, to recommend changes in the policy itself.

Dr. Patricia Pattison, Finance & Economics, Emmett and Miriam McCoy College of Business Administration
appointed: 2014
Phone:   512-245-3246

Ombudsman Responsibilities (from the Faculty Handbook)

D. Informal resolution. Faculty members must make a bona fide effort to resolve an issue collegially by discussing their concerns with their Director/Chair and Dean. If this does not prove satisfactory, faculty members may request intervention by the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will investigate and report findings in an effort to achieve equitable settlements. The Ombudsman will arrange, attend, participate in, and keep appropriate records of informal meetings between the concerned faculty member and the appropriate Director/Chair, Dean or other responsible administrator to explore possible settlement of the issues. If a collegial solution can be arranged, it may take the form of an informal arrangement or a written document specifying the settlement’s terms.

E. Mediation. A formal mediation process to resolve disputes is available. Faculty and administrators are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this process before filing grievances. Participation in mediation is voluntary, and both faculty member and administrator must consent to participation before the process is used. The Ombudsman must inform the parties of availability of mediation and attempt to secure an agreement to mediate.

F. Filing a grievance. If informal resolution is neither possible nor satisfactory in the judgment of the concerned faculty member, the faculty member may file a formal grievance on a form available from the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will immediately forward the form to the Hearing Officer, the Respondent, the Provost and the Chair of the Faculty Senate.

Once a formal grievance is filed, parties to the grievance may communicate about the grievance only through the Hearing Officer.

(For further procedures, see the Faculty Handbook, p. 23)