Sept 08, 2010 Minutes
Members present: Senators Feakes, Brown, Caldwell, Conroy, Furney, Hazlewood, Huling, Martin, Melzer, Morey, Payne, Stone
Guest: Hollie O’Connor, University Star
The meeting was called to order at 4:00.
Nominees for Presidential Award Committees have all responded. Nominations for mace bearers are being solicited.
Definition of Faculty Voter:
The Senate subcommittee on definitions of faculty made recommendations on faculty voter and on personnel committee member. Both definitions were discussed at length. Action on the definition of faculty voter awaits clarification about the budgeting issues. Wording for the teaching experience portion of personnel committee member is pending.
Workload Policy Review:
Spring 2010 workload data is available on TRACS. A charge for liaisons and Senators will be developed, and Associate Provost Bourgeois will meet with the Senate. Then Senators will convene college-level meetings in October, in advance of the liaisons meeting November 17 in Alkek 105-106.
PAAG Agenda Development:
• Enrollment Report
• Compliance Module Cycle
• Legislative Session, including an opinion on the Cost Saving Report
• Tenure and Promotion Report
• Charges to Dean Search Committees
• Spacing of Development Leaves was discussed. The switch from a semi-annual cycle to an annual cycle will require more detailed dates.
• Questions about Faculty Research Enhancement Grants arose: tenured and tenure-track faculty can apply as PI’s. Clinical faculty can apply as PI’s. The sense of the Senate is that research faculty should be excluded. It is not clear if the issue of clinical faculty serving on selection committees has been resolved.
• Steve Furney will serve as the Senate member on the University Research Committee. The Senate will ask the committee to chose a meeting time that does not overlap Senate meetings.
The minutes of the August 25, 2010 and September 1, 2010 meetings were approved with corrections.