Feb 23, 2011 Minutes
Members present: Senators Stone, Brown, Feakes, Huling, Wilson, Hazlewood, Melzer, Furney, Martin, Morey, Payne, Conroy, Warms
Guests: Sigler, Gross (Star)
Meeting called to order at 4:00.
- The Chair reminded Senators that only one representative from a department can serve on the Senate, so those departments from which sitting Senators come will not see Senate candidates on the list of faculty eligible for votes in the upcoming election. The Chair asked that any corrections to the list of eligible candidates be sent to her as soon as possible.
- The Chair encouraged Senators to attend the upcoming open forums on the proposed revisions to definitions of “faculty voter” and “personnel committee membership.” The forums take place in Alkek 147 on March 3 (from 10-11 AM) and March 4 (from 3:30-4:30 PM).
Faculty Senate Committee Assignments: The Senate began discussions on recommendations from the Committee on Committees, and will return to this topic at coming meetings. In the meantime, a nominee from the College of Science is needed for the University Curriculum Committee.
PAAG Agenda: The Senate suggests the following items for the March 2 PAAG meeting:
- Discussion of proposals to move the university-wide student evaluations to an online system.
- The possibility of a separate commencement ceremony for graduate students.
- Discussion on conflicting directives regarding the 120-hour degree rule.
- The Council for Women recently discussed the need for a formal University policy regarding mentoring for new faculty and staff.
Minutes of 2/6/11 were approved.