Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
J.C.Kellam 880
512.245.8323
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (6:00 pm on meeting days)

Faculty Senate Meeting Information

Henrietta Avent Faculty Senate Meeting Room

Texas State Links

External Links

Join the Conversation

adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

Feb 10, 2010 Minutes

Members present: Senators Brown, Warms, Stone, Feakes, C. Hazlewood, Morey, Caldwell, Shah and Wilson.

Guests: Sigler, O'Connor (University Star), Hohensee, Wuest, Day, Autrey, Fleuriet, Supancic, Thurman, D. Hazlewood.

Meeting called to order at 4:00.

Announcements:
1. The 2011 Academic Calendar was distributed.

2. CAD announced that the University has enrolled in a worklife program entitled Bobcat Balance.

3. The University Club will reopen in the basement of Commons after Spring Break. There are plans to move the Club to the LBJ Student Center in the future.

4. Senator Furney has agreed to serve on the Committee undertaking a three-year review of the Developmental Leave process. One more volunteer is needed.

5. The Faculty Senate will hold a joint meeting with CAD on April 14.

SACS On-Site Review: Cathy Fleuriet outlined the report of the Off-Site Review Committee, noting that Texas State was informed that only nine issues need to be resolved. She noted that all SACS information is posted on the University's SACS website. Among the non-compliance issues of interest to faculty are 1) that the Off-Site reviewers wonder about the faculty's ongoing commitment to assessment once the SACS review is complete; 2) that the Committee asked for clarification on the credentials of faculty supervising programs; and 3) that the Committee asked for clarification on a number of faculty members' credentials. The University is now working to illustrate it is in compliance on all the concerns raised by the Off-Site team.

On-Site Visit: Dr. Fleuriet encourages all faculty to present Texas State in a positive light if interviewed by the On-Site Review Committee, which will be on campus from March 23 to 25. They will visit the Round Rock campus on March 22. All interviews with the Committee will take place in the Kellam Building, with most of the team's visit focusing on the Quality Enhancement Plan since there were so few concerns raised by the Off-Site Committee.

Reaffirmation of accreditation will not be announced until December 2010.

Quality Enhancement Plan: Beth Wuest, Director of Faculty Development, outlined the current state of the QEP and PACE, including an overview of the Plan's website. She noted that the Plan will focus on first-year students, offering them training in career planning and selecting a major. Crucial to this plan is the PACE Center, in which advisors and faculty liaisons will work with students. Also important is the redesign of University Seminar to focus on the goals of the QEP; the Seminars will be limited to 20 students, and the University will need to offer some 120 sections.

BREAK

University Curriculum Committee Proposals: At the February 17 meeting, the Senate will vote on the following recommendations from the University Curriculum Committee:
1. Change the existing Bachelor of Science in Applied Sociology major in Applied Sociology to a Bachelor of Science major in Applied Sociology.

2. Add a graduate certificate in Intelligence Analysis.

UPPS 07.10.01 Recommendations: Drs. Thorne and Wiley will meet with the Chair to discuss the Senate's questions about revisions to the UPPS governing the Honor Code and Honor Council. Of continuing concern is the lack of clear policy related to the academic dishonesty in online courses, as well as whether private meetings between student and instructor are necessary or prudent. The Senate would like the ASG to formally endorse the revisions.

In addition, the Chair will discuss with the appropriate administrators why the Senate was removed from the review process for this UPPS.

New Business:
1. The Subcommittee developing questions for the university-wide evaluations required in HB 2504 met this week and composed five questions. Once the questions are finalized, they will be sent to all Senate Liaisons so that they can present them to their departments for votes. Dr. Bourgeois wants all departments to approve the questions.

2. The Senate is continuing its exploration of PPS 6.11, which governs the Presidential Awards for Excellence. In particular, the Senate is exploring which faculty are eligible to stand as nominees.

3. A faculty member asked about the installation of RFID strips in faculty offices. He wondered whether this process has been explained to faculty. Are there security and health concerns?

4. William Peeler will visit the Senate on 2/17 to discuss academic governance issues.

Minutes for 2/03 approved.

Adjournment.