Chair Stone, Senators Brennan, Conroy, Fleming, Gillis, Hazlewood, Hindson, Homeyer, James,
Guests: Dr. Denise Trauth, President, Dr. Perry Moore, Provost, Dr. Eugene J. Bourgeois, Asst Provost, Dr. Patrick Cassidy, Assoc Vice Pres, Academic Affairs
Meeting called to order at .
1) Tuition/Revenue Bonds (T/RB): Positive feeling about
2) Tuition Deregulation: In the direction of possible tuition deregulation, the anticipated cap would be where UT, Austin is now.
3) Exceptional Items: Items in the exceptional item category are the engineering program, nursing program and the Round Rock facilities. At this point, there is no prognosis as to how things will develop.
4) Emerging Technology: This program will fund partnerships between universities and businesses. However, though it has the governor’s support, it is not yet funded.
1) Tenure and promotion to associate professor will be linked, i.e., an assistant professor cannot apply for promotion to associate without applying for tenure.
2) Ranking of candidates has been removed.
3) Collegiality is recognized as a measure in T/P.
4) Candidate will no longer be able to move from tenure-track to non-tenure-track status and then back to tenure-track without independent searches for non-tenure and tenure-track positions.
5) There is a provision for stopping the tenure clock for familial considerations with wiggle room for the Provost for special considerations.
6) There is a provision for standardized vitas of candidates.
7) The specific statement is included: “High quality teaching is necessary but not sufficient achievement upon which to base tenure and promotion. In addition, all candidates for tenure and/or promotion must provide a documented record of sustained peer-reviewed scholarly/creative activity. While an outstanding record of leadership and service is normally expected for promotion to full professor, it is not as critical for promotion to associate professor.”
Installation of new senators: New senators, Gary Winek replacing Ron Sawey in Science, Michel Conroy replacing herself and Ian Davidson replacing John Fleming
In Fine Arts and Communication, Gay James replacing herself in Education and
Audrey McKinney replacing herself and Ted Hinson replacing
Library Allocation Formula: The senate approved the recommendation of the library allocation formula without major revision from the former formula.
Summer Meeting Times for the Senate:
June 8 – 3 to 5
July 13 – 3 to 5
August 24 – 4-6
a. University Research Committee: The new guidelines make it clear that chairs, deans and program directors are not eligible. Also, there is a possibility of revising the allocation of funds to colleges based on the number of applicants for each college.
b. International Travel: Some changes may be coming.
c. Assoc/Asst VP for Enrollment Management: The recruiting committee has recommended a candidate to the administration.
d. UPPS for Consensual Relationships is about to come out.
e. New definitions for faculty: a first draft of a PPS is coming up with definitions for research faculty and clinical faculty. The new definitions seem to follow the lines of tradition faculty definitions. More later.
f. A policy is coming deal with issues for chairs and spouses, etc in the same department.
g. A Curriculum Committee recommendation is coming.