Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
J.C.Kellam 880
512.245.8323
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (6:00 pm on meeting days)

Faculty Senate Meeting Information

Henrietta Avent Faculty Senate Meeting Room

Texas State Links

External Links

Join the Conversation

adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

Feb 17, 1999 Minutes



Senators Present: Anderson, Conroy, Gillis, Gordon, Hays, Irvin, McGee,
Pascoe, Sawey, Skerpan, Stimmel and Winek.

Absent: Bible and Renick

Liaisons Present: Linda Thomas (HIM)

Guests: Mimi Tangum (ORSP), Rebeccan Bell-Metereau (English) and Mike Moore.

CONTENTS
ORSP/GRANTS ACCTG SURVEY RESULTS
ACADEMIC POLICY OVERSIGHT
SUMMER ORIENTATION
UNIVERSITY LECTURES COMMITTEE
NEW BUSINESS
CORRECTIONS TO MINUTES OF 2-3-99

Vice Chair Hays called the meeting to order at 4:03 p.m.

ORSP/GRANTS ACCTG SURVEY RESULTS

AssocVP Tangum distributed copies of the Faculty Research Enhancement
Grant Database.

Adiscussion was held concerning results of the ORSP survey. Dr. Tangum
stated that, while complaints about the services provided by ORSP were few, she
is concerned about any complaints. Regarding the complaint by some professors
about a lack of notice concerning potential grants, ORSP is increasing its
effort to disseminate the database on potential grants and is considering the
possibility of an open forum on grant procurement. Open forums have been
provided in the past but not recently. An existing forum is the Grants
Administration Policy Committee, but untenured faculty may feel uncomfortable
appearing before the committee. Alternatives suggested by Senators included
the inclusion of a Q and A document on the web site and more cooperation
between the ORSP and the Research Enhancement Grant Committee, including a
meeting between ORSP workers and the committee chair to discuss issues such as
logging in applications. Dr. Tangum noted that research enhancement grants are
not the responsibility of ORSP and suggested that letters sent to faculty
concerning decisions on grants be signed by the chair of the committee instead
of by her. Dr. Tangum reiterated that she wishes to do all that she can to
address faculty concerns, and that she is available to discuss concerns with
any faculty member on an individual basis.

ACADEMIC POLICY OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE

The Senate considered a motion to charge the Academic Policy Oversight
Committee to investigate the extent to which academic policy is being followed
regarding faculty evaluation and the merit process. The Committee's assignment
will begin with the dissemination to faculty of a four-question survey which
addresses the following:

1. Whether the department's faculty evaluation process is clearly stated and
communicated.

2. Whether the department's faculty evaluation policy is being followed.

3. Whether the department's merit policy is clearly stated and communicated.

4. Whether the department's merit policy is being followed.

Based on responses to these questions, theCommittee will identify departments
which appear to be having problems and conduct in-depth examinations of
department policies and their implementation, including interviews with the
selected departments' personnel committees. The motion passed with 10 yes
votes and 2 abstentions.

Due to heavy commitmentsin other areas, Senator Sawey resigned as chair and
member of the Academic Policy Oversight Committee. A new representation from
the School of Science is needed. Senate representatives from the School of
Science will bring forward a possible replacement from that school. A new
chair for the committee will also need to be chosen.

SUMMER FRESHMAN ORIENTATION COMMITTEE

Sen. Gillis was nominated to be Senate representative to the Summer Freshman
Orientation Committee. Her nomination was approved unanimously.

UNIVERSITY LECTURES COMMITTEE

Prof. Paula Williamson was recommended as a possible replacement for Prof.
Cecelia Temponi as Chair of the University Lectures Committee. She will be
contacted to determine if she is willing to become chair.

NEW BUSINESS

Concern was expressed about the dissemination of data on how many As, Bs, Cs,
etc., professors have assigned for each of their classes. A request was made
to put the issue on the Senate/CAD/COC meeting for February 24.

A working draft of a proposal for a school-level committee to review chairs'
merit recommendations was distributed. The committee would include the dean, a
chair, and two faculty members. The proposal will be discussed at the March
3rd meeting.

A copy of the Faculty Handbook Committee's suggested revisions to the VPAA's
version of the faculty handbook was distributed. The Senate agreed to review
the suggested revisions and to be prepared to discuss them at the March 3rd
meeting.

CORRECTIONS TO THE MINUTES OF 2-3-99

The following corrections to the minutes of 2-3-99 were made:

Art Technology Building:

Pres. Supple acknowledged a $7,000,000 difference between the original estimate
and current estimate. The difference has been reduced to $2,000,000, through
cost cutting.

Pres. Supple reported that the Board of Regents agreed to go forward with the
project using a contract-at-risk bidding approach.

Research Enhancement Program PPS:

The Senate agreed the send the PPS draft, originally submitted to VPAA Gratz in
April 1998, back to the committee in order to address VPAA Gratz's concern that
the current draft does not provide a rationale for the program. The Committee
now consists of Senator Conroy, AVP Tangum, Dean Israel, Prof. Temponi, and Dr.
Margerison. The draft will not be circulated to CAD until after the requested
revisions have been completed.

The Senate adjourned at 5:40 p.m.