Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
J.C.Kellam 880
512.245.8323
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (6:00 pm on meeting days)

Faculty Senate Meeting Information

Henrietta Avent Faculty Senate Meeting Room

Texas State Links

External Links

Join the Conversation

adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

May 7, 1997 Minutes


Present: Bible, Bourgeois, Conroy, Deduck-Evans, Hays, Irvin, McGee,
Oliver, Pascoe, Sawey, Simpson, and Stimmel.

Absent: Bechtol, Hunter and Winek

Guests: Mona Ford (Soc), Margaret Vaverek (Lib), Leigh Kilman (Lib),
Michael Nowicki (Health Ad), Rumaldo Juarez (Health Prof), Lou Caruana
(Health Prof), Lori Maxwell (Lib), Joan Conger (Lib), John McGee (Bus),
Barb Potts (Lib), Chris Jawaisas (Lib), and Kim Folse (Soc)

CONTENTS:
-FACULTY GRIEVANCE POLICY
-AD HOC LIBRARY COMMITTEE REPORT
-Status
-Library Committee replacements
-SENATE COMMITTEE RESTRUCTURING
-DEVELOPMENTAL LEAVE PROCESS
-FACULTY RESEARCH COMMITTEE
-Non-tenure/tenured issue
-Research on research
-New guidelines
-SENATE SECRETARY
-SUMMER MEETING SCHEDULE

NEW BUSINESS
- Minutes 4-30-97 (including corrections)


The meeting was called to order by Chair Bible at 2:05 pm.

FACULTY GRIEVANCE POLICY

A faculty member in Health Professions filed a grievance alleging that
the denial of his promotion involved a misapplication of university
policies. Attempts to resolve this matter through the Ombudsman were
unsuccessful, and the matter was set for a hearing before the Grievance
Committee. Subsequently, SWT Attorney Fly and system counsel Gomez
advised that the Regents Rules do not permit hearings in cases involving
the denial of a promotion unless a denial of rights under state or
federal law is alleged. In that event, a hearing, if there is one, is
before a specially constituted panel, not the Grievance Committee.

University PPS's which have been enacted and amended since the enactment
of the applicable Regents Rule contemplate hearings before the Grievance
Committee in cases involving the denial of a promotion. The effect of
the ruling noted above is that these PPS's are void to the extent that
they conflict with the Rule.

Many faculty who have learned of this have been surprised to discover
that Regents Rules preclude hearings in such cases, and that the parts
of the PPS's which provide for such hearings were approved though they
conflict with those rules and are now inoperative.

Ombudsman McGee visited the Senate to discuss this matter. During the
discussion, it was noted that sound management practice, if not legal
considerations, would appear to dictate allowing faculty to come to the
Grievance Committee to grieve a promotion denial. For one thing, this
might forestall litigation, in that a complainant who lacks this outlet
may feel compelled to go to court to attempt to vindicate his or her
rights. There is also the feeling that simple fairness would argue in
favor of allowing such grievances.

It was determined that before proceeding further, the Senate Chair will:

1. Contact colleagues in the other system institutions to determine
their attitude on this issue and whether there is sentiment for
proposing a change in the Regents Rules.

2. Contact the TFA for its input.

3. Contact counsel Gomez to discuss the basis for this rule.

4. Request a meeting involving President Supple, VPAA Gratz and SWT
Attorney Fly to get additional information and to determine whether the
administration would support a proposed change in the Regents Rule.


AD HOC LIBRARY COMMITTEE REPORT (STATUS)

Prof. Ford, Chair of the Senate's Ad Hoc Library Committee, discussed
the Annual Library Check-Up Report which is a follow-up to suggestions
and recommendations made by that committee. The update is as follows:

- There has been a salary increase for Librarian III which has been
subject to salary compression.

- The issue of hiring policy has been a problem. The hiring of the new
Electronic Services Librarian at a higher rate than advertised was
addressed by the library administration and it has agreed to change its
practice in the future.

- The Career Ladder Team has conducted a survey of our eleven peer
institutions. The survey indicated SWT does better at lower levels and
although the base still needs to be raised another $1,000, even more
emphasis needs to be put on increasing the salaries at the middle and
higher levels to encourage librarians to remain at SWT.

- There are now 3 TQM teams in place and one more coming on line soon.
The Scheduling Team has not yet met due to the illness of one member.
The Senate suggested that a replacement be named so that the Scheduling
Committee could move forward. As of now 2/3 of the librarians have had
some TQM.

- Morale has remained low, due mainly to low salaries.

- The issue of public service is directly connected to the high turnover
rate; given that rate, few librarians have long-term personal contacts
with faculty and students.

- A positive note is the resumption of regular scheduled meetings
between career-ladder librarians and the University Librarian.

- Academic Status is a concern. SWT librarians are seeking Academic
Status, which is not the publish or perish criteria of faculty but
allows for continuing contract/tenure and encourages librarians to take
developmental leaves for research and publication, to participate in
university committees and to interact as colleagues with faculty.

- The Career Ladder Librarians thank the Ad Hoc Library Committee
members, especially Ramona Ford, and the Faculty Senate for their
continued interest and support on behalf of the librarians.

A motion was passed to accept the Ad Hoc Library Committee Report.

AD HOC LIBRARY COMMITTEE REPLACEMENTS

Ad hoc committee members Ford and Horne are no longer on the Senate so
replacements are needed. Senators Stimmel and Sawey will remain on the
committee. A motion was passed to have Prof. Ford continue serving on
the committee and as chair. Senator Deduck-Evans will replace Prof.
Horne. It was noted that the Faculty Senate has done a very positive
thing for SWT with the Ad Hoc Library Committee and the work they have
done for the status of the librarians.

SENATE COMMITTEE RESTRUCTURING

A survey of the Senate Committee Chairs was recently conducted and the
results were distributed and discussed. It was determined that the
following changes in the Senate committee structure should be made:

1. The Academic Core Committee is no longer needed because the General
Studies Council and the Senate's Curriculum Committee address those
issues. It will be eliminated.

2. The Environment Committee will be renamed Facilities and Environment
Committee and will take a more proactive position regarding new
facilities on campus.

3. The Faculty Dining Room and Lounge Committee will be renamed the
University Club Committee.

4. The Recreation Committee will be eliminated because the Recreational
Sports Office meets its needs.

5. The ad hoc Committee on Temporary Faculty will be elevated to full
Senate Committee status because of the on-going study of the status of
temporary/part time faculty.

6. The Academic Policy Oversight Committee will be added to bring to the
Senate's attention perceived failures to follow existing policies in
departments and schools.

A motion was passed for Prof. Wilda Meixner (Accounting) to replace
Prof. Howard Savage (Fin. & Eco.) on the Committee on Committees, due to
Prof. Savage's illness.

Prof Pascoe suggested that the Senate make an effort annually to invite
the Senate Committee Chairs to a Senate meeting to discuss the
activities and responsibilities of the committees.

Senator McGee introduced an a proposal submitted by LET (Learning
Excellence Team) to be recognized as a Senate Committee. LET members
come from many disciplines and are united in wanting to improve student
learning and recognizing and rewarding quality teaching. Profs. Chris
Frost and Jeff Gordon have asked to come to the June Senate meeting to
discuss their committee. This issue was RTAd until then.

DEVELOPMENTAL LEAVE PROCESS

The Senate discussed the need for improvements in the Developmental
Leave Program. The evaluation and ranking process is of particular
concern, and there is also a need for more specific criteria for
proposals. A motion was passed to appoint a subcommittee to study this
issue: Senators Irvin, Hays, Simpson (chair) and Pascoe. The committee
plans to make recommendations by the fall.

FACULTY RESEARCH COMMITTEE

The issue of non-tenured/tenure track faculty participating in Research
Enhancement Grants was discussed. Chair Bible stated that the enabling
legislation is clear: only tenured/tenured track faculty are eligible
to be listed as principal investigators. Senators feel that it would be
difficult and unwise to outlaw collaboration with non-tenured/tenure
track faculty or to define collaboration too narrowly. The intent of
the legislature is to ensure that the benefits of the grants remain with
SWT. Recipients of proposals that were recently approved will be asked
to make sure that only tenured/tenure track faculty are listed as
principal investigators.

Research Committee Chair Folse distributed a proposal submitted by a
subcommittee appointed to study the research proposal process. It
suggests that unspent funds from the REP Fall of 1996 round be used to
fund a study and history of the program. Key issues and areas of needed
improvement would be identified and remedial plans would be developed.
This endeavor would encourage more and better quality proposals, provide
for a fair peer evaluation, and promote outside grant seeking. REP
Administration is a key function of the Senate as roughly $250,000 in
funds are disseminated every year. These funds need to be encumbered
and spent by the end of summer so action needs to be taken soon.

The Senate RTA'd this issue until the next meeting.

The Senate agreed to meet again on Monday, May 12, at 2:00 in the Senate
conference room to finish the Research Committee business and to
complete the remainder of the agenda. Those items will include:

SENATE SECRETARY
SUMMER MEETING SCHEDULE
RIGHT OF FACULTY TO GRIEVE PROMOTION DENIALS
NEW BUSINESS
Minutes 4-30-97

The meeting adjourned at 4:05.

Shirley Pilus
Administrative Assistant