Request for Proposals
Common Experience Theme, 2013-2014
The Common Experience team invites faculty and staff to submit proposals for the 2013-2014 Common Experience (theme and proposed events). Because the Common Experience is a collaborative initiative at Texas State (crossing departmental and divisional boundaries), we encourage the submission of proposals that address important themes that can foster a broad, inclusive conversation. In concrete terms, this means that Common Experience themes should include opportunities for participation by faculty, staff, students, and the broader central Texas community. A team is currently working on the 2012-2013 theme, “A Global Odyssey.”
For example, the 2011-2012 Common Experience theme of “Freedoms: The First Amendment” included a University Seminar reading: Jonathan Hennessey and Aaron McConnell, The United States Constitution: A Graphic Adaptation. The multi-disciplinary group of faculty has created distinctive experiences for our community that included an on-campus presentation by Soledad O’Brien, the CNN News Analyst, and a special event “Juilliard Joins Texas State,” developed by Texas State alumnus and Juilliard professor Dr. Wayne Oquin.
As a point of departure, please consult any sources of information regarding the 2011-2012 Common Experience. Copies of the previously selected proposals for 2009-2010 “The Whole Mind: Crossing Boundaries of Disciplines,” and 2010-2011 “Sustainability: Science, Policy and Opportunity” are posted as models for developing a proposal for 2013-2014. For proposals from previous years, please click here.
The Common Experience proposal selected should show a strong connection to a theme and events that cross academic boundaries and that bridge academic affairs and student affairs. The proposal should reflect collaborative potential as well. A Common Experience Team will review all proposals submitted and will give special attention to proposals that reflect one (or more) of the following characteristics:
- Theme lends itself to interdisciplinary analysis and conversation
- Theme is of high academic caliber and conducive to scholarly dialogue
- Theme lends itself to collaborative links across the campus (student affairs, academic affairs, and community engagement; see examples at Common Experience website)
- Theme is engaging and relevant for students and community
- Proposal suggests possible contributors and participants for a Common Experience structured around the suggested theme
- Committee will coordinate main Common Experience speaker with LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series
- Proposal suggests possible resources that potentially connect to the proposed theme
If you have any questions regarding the Common Experience proposals please contact Dr. Pam Wuestenberg at 245-7952, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ms. Diann McCabe at 245-2266 email@example.com, or Dr. Ron Brown at 245-2205, firstname.lastname@example.org