Steps that Texas State is taking to a "green" commencement:
- Students apply online for graduation and receive most announcements over email, eliminating paper waste.
- A PDF of the Commencement Program is available online for guests, reducing the number of programs that need to be printed.
- The Commencement Program is printed using the most environmentally friendly materials that are available.
- The Office of Recycling and Waste Management provides paper recycling bins for unwanted commencement programs and collects cardboard boxes leftover from the event.
- Paper recycling bins are also available on all shuttle buses at commencement.
- Announcements are made prior to the ceremony encouraging guests to recycle their unwanted paper products.
- The candidates will wear GreenWeaver gowns from Oak Hall Cap & Gown made from 100% post consumer plastic. Each gown is made from 23 plastic bottles. https://oakhalli.com/GreenWeaver-Recycled-Gowns.html
- Artificial plants are used to decorate the stage and are reused each semester. This is a great alternative to purchasing live arrangements which have to be discarded, along with baskets and fillers.
Steps you can take to a "green" commencement:
- Recycle your unwanted commencement programs and other paper waste at the ceremony.
- Download a PDF of the program straight onto your mobile device.
- Carpool to the ceremony with family, friends, or fellow graduates.