Dr. Kevin Lewis - Professor
Office: CHEM 217
Phone: (512) 245-8594
Fax: (512) 245-2374email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Interest
Analysis of genes and proteins required for repair of DNA that has been damaged by radiation or chemicals; importance of DNA repair in aging; development of new techniques for purification and analysis of DNA and RNA
Related Web Sites
Research in the Lewis Group
1. Cory L. Holland†, Brian M. Wasko†, Brian A. Sanderson†, James K. Titus†, and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2015. Suppression of telomere instability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae yku70 mutants by Est2 polymerase is DNA repair and replication-independent. (Submitted to DNA Repair)
2. Blanca V. Rodriguez†, Jorge Pescador‡, Nicole Pollok‡, Gary W. Beall, Corina Maeder and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2015. Impact of size, secondary structure and counterions on the binding of small RNAs to layered double hydroxide nanoparticles. Biointerphases 10(4):041007. doi: 10.1116/1.4936393
3. Blanca V. Rodriguez†, Eric T. Malczewskyj†, Joshua M. Cabiya‡, L. Kevin Lewis and Corina Maeder. 2015. Identification of an RNase-resistant population of RNAs in Saccharomyces cerevisiae extracts: separation from chromosomal DNA by selective precipitation. Analytical Biochemistry, published online September 28, 2015. (Epub 2015 Sep 28)
4. Brian A. Sanderson†, Naoko Araki†, Jennifer L. Lilley‡, Gilberto Guerrero‡ and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2014. Modification of gel architecture and TBE/TAE buffer composition to minimize heating during agarose gel electrophoresis. Analytical Biochemistry 454:44-52.
5. Jennifer Summers McKinney†, Sunaina Sethi†, Jennifer DeMars Tripp†, Thuy N. Nguyen†, Brian A. Sanderson†, James W. Westmoreland, Michael A. Resnick and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2013. A multistep genomic screen identifies new genes required for repair of DNA double-strand breaks in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. BMC Genomics 14:251-266.
6. Jennifer DeMars Tripp†, Jennifer L. Lilley‡, Whitney N. Wood‡ and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2013. Enhancement of plasmid DNA transformation efficiencies in early stationary phase yeast cell cultures. Yeast 30:191-200.
7. Brian A. Sanderson‡, Drew S. Sowersby‡, Sergio Crosby, Marcus Goss, L. Kevin Lewis and Gary W. Beall. 2013. Charge density and particle size effects on oligonucleotide and plasmid DNA binding to nanosized hydrotalcite. Biointerphases 8:8-18.
8. Sandra C. Becerra†, Hiranthi T. Thambugala†, Alison Russell Erickson†, Christopher K. Lee† and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2012. Reversibility of replicative senescence in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: effect of homologous recombination and cell cycle checkpoints. DNA Repair 11:35-45.
9. Christopher K. Lee†, Naoko Araki†, Drew S. Sowersby† and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2011. Factors affecting chemical-based purification of DNA from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast [Online] doi: 10.1002/yea.1918 (accessed Nov 15, 2011).
10. L. Kevin Lewis*, Michael H. Robson†, Yelena Vecherkina, Chang Ji and Gary W. Beall. 2010. Interference with spectrophotometric analysis of nucleic acids and proteins by leaching of chemicals from plastic tubes. Biotechniques 48:297-302.
11. James W. Westmoreland, Jennifer A. Summers†, Cory L. Holland†, Michael A. Resnick and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2010. Blunt-ended DNA double-strand breaks induced by endonucleases PvuII and EcoRV are poor substrates for repair in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair 9:617-626.
12. Gary W. Beall, Drew S. Sowersby‡, Rachel D. Roberts†, Michael H. Robson† and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2009. Analysis of oligonucleotide DNA binding and sedimentation properties of montmorillonite clay using ultraviolet light spectroscopy. Biomacromolecules 10:105-112.
13. Brian M. Wasko†, Cory L. Holland†, Michael A. Resnick and L. Kevin Lewis*. 2009. Inhibition of DNA double-strand break repair by the Ku heterodimer in mrx mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair 8:162-169.