COALITION OF BLACK FACULTY & STAFF
MEETING: February 18, 2003
LOCATION: LBJSC 3-11.1
Members Present: James Mathews, Dr. Verna Henson, Dr. Sherri Benn, Vincent Morton, Jonnie Wilson, Becky Woodson, and Jackie Cooper.
VISION: To promote togetherness, develop a strong unified body, and gain recognition within the SWT and surrounding community. Empower and encourage other faculty and staff to be about the coalition.
1. Weekly Lunches
· Thursdays from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM @ U-CLUB
2. Weekly Meetings
· Wednesdays @ 2:30 PM (location to be determined)
3. Upcoming Meetings
· Thursday, March 6th @ 3:00 PM (location to be determined)
According to Dr. Trauth, SWT has four goals concerning diversity: Recruit a diverse student body; retain those students; recruit a diverse faculty; and retain a diverse faculty.
· Dr. Trauth’s perception of support and confidence of the Deans was not accurate with regards to accountability.
· Dr. Trauth’s diversity campaign is faculty driven, thus appearing to exclude staff issues.
· CBFS members are concerned that the diversity issue will be downplayed. Dr. Trauth supports international studies/studying abroad, but needs to focus more on “local” diversity.