Ashley's Thoughts on Texas State
Why Texas State
I transferred to Texas State after my freshman year of college. I liked the campus, the location and what the school has to offer. And, how many other schools have a river
running through campus?
Why Interior Design?
I have always been interested in architecture and design. It wasn’t until I took Intro to Interior Design and Intro to Communication Design my freshman year that I decided interior design
was my calling. After four years here at Texas State, I know I made the right choice.
I hope to move to Dallas after I graduate and find a commercial interior design job. I am very interested in green design, lighting design and commercial interiors. I am taking TECH 4368-Environmentally Conscious Design and Construction. This course is giving me an overview of high-performance green building and insight into the U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design’s (LEED) criteria for awarding green buildings.
After the course, I plan to take the LEED exam to become a LEED accredited professional. After two years of working under a licensed interior designer, I hope to become licensed myself.
Best Studying Advice
You have probably heard this one a million times, but seriously, do it: Don’t procrastinate! It took me a couple of years to figure that out.
As an interior design student, my major classes are not lectures followed by exams — they are studios where we have to do project after project. You cannot wait until the last minute to start a project.
In my senior studio class I took last spring, we had one project that took the entire semester to complete. This project is similar to a graduate student thesis. Each student comes up with his or her own individual project and is expected to have a completed design by the end of the semester. To be successful, you must pace yourself.
My Clubs and Organizations
American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) — student member
2007-08 membership committee chair
2005-06 student chapter president-elect
International Interior Design Association (IIDA), student member
Alpha Xi Delta sorority
Phi Upsilon Omicron honors fraternity
U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), Balcones Chapter member
Golden Key International Honors Society
Why I am Involved at Texas State
You get to meet people and feel like you are a part of something other than just attending class. Get involved! Join a professional organization, a club that shares your interests, or join a social organization.
Honors, Awards and Scholarships
- 2007 Texas State University Brightest Star
- 007 ASID Student Career Day Competition — first place in Commercial Design
- 2007 College of Applied Arts Academic Excellence in Interior Design
- 2007 Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) Department high GPA for senior class
- 2007 FCS Academic Excellence for Interior Design Program
- 2007 commercial office project displayed in the Texas State Capitol during legislative session
- 2006 ASID Student Career Day Competition — Award of Merit in Residential Design
- 2005, 2006 Texas State University Interior Design student shows, FCS Buy-A-Brick Scholarship
- 2005 Highest GPA for FCS sophomore class
- 2004-present Texas State University Dean’s List
What I Like Most About Texas State
I love our beautiful campus, and the people are really nice. It feels like my second home here.