Bachelor of Science Major in Anthropology
Minimum required: 120 semester hour
1. A major in anthropology consists of 38 semester hours of anthropology, 18 of which must be at the advanced level.
2. Majors must select a minor from the following list of lab-based science minors: biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, computer science, or mathematics.
3. Majors are required to complete ANTH 1312, 2414, 2415, and one theory-based course (3301, 3307, 3376R, 3376S, or 4310) with a grade of “D” or higher.
4. Twelve hours of writing intensive (WI) courses are required for graduation, which can be completed by courses in the major, minor, or general education core curriculum (not including ENG 1310, 1320).
5. All students must complete a minimum of 36 advanced hours (3000 or 4000 level courses) as part of their degree.
6. Majors are required to complete 6 hours of Anthropology techniques courses to be selected from: ANTH 3317, 3376O, 4363, 4361, 4382, 4390, or 4630.
7. Majors may not receive more than six hours of credit for ANTH 4630 to satisfy Anthropology major requirements.
8. Majors are required to achieve the following minimum grade point averages for graduation: Texas State GPA 2.00, major GPA 2.50, and minor GPA 2.00.
9. The social science component of the core curriculum cannot be satisfied by the completion of ANTH 1312; majors must select an additional social science course from: ECO 2301, ECO 2314, GEO 1310, PSY 1300, or SOCI 1310.
10. Majors must complete 8 hours of the same foreign language (1410 and 1420) at the college level.
11. Majors must complete the English course, Technical Writing (ENG 3303), in addition to the English sophomore literature course required for core curriculum.
12. Majors must complete a statistics course from CJ 3347, GEO 3301, PSY 3301, or SOCI 3307.
13. Majors must complete an additional philosophy course, (PHIL 4355) Philosophical Theory of Science.
14. Students who complete a four-hour biological anthropology and/or archeology course at another institution may have course(s) evaluated by the Chair of the Department to determine credit for ANTH 2414 and/or 2415 can be assigned.