Bachelor of Arts Major in Anthropology
Minimum required: 120 semester hours
1. A major in anthropology requires 32 semester hours of which 18 hours must be advanced courses.
2. Majors must select a minor from the approved list of minors in the degrees and programs section of this catalog.
3. Majors are required to complete ANTH 1312, 2414, 2415, and one theory-based course (3301, 3307, 3376R, 3376S, or 4310) with a grade of “D” or higher.
4. Majors are required to achieve the following minimum grade point averages for graduation: Texas State GPA 2.00, major GPA 2.25, and minor GPA 2.00.
5. Nine hours of writing intensive (WI) courses are required for graduation, which can be completed by courses in the major, minor, or general education core curriculum (not including ENG 1310, 1320).
6. All students must complete a minimum of 36 advanced hours (3000 or 4000 level courses) as part of their degree.
7. The social science component of the core curriculum cannot be satisfied by the completion of ANTH 1312; majors must select an additional social science course from: ECO 2301, 2314, GEO 1310, PSY 1300, or SOCI 1310.
8. Majors must complete 6 hours of the same foreign language (2310 and 2320). Most students complete 1410 and 1420 as prerequisites before attempting 2310.
9. Majors must complete an additional science known as the BA science requirement. This course is in addition to the core curriculum natural science.
10. Majors may not receive more than six hours of credit in ANTH 4630 to satisfy Anthropology major requirements.
11. The minimum number of hours required for a degree is 120. The number of free elective hours a student will complete depends on the number of hours a student may need to achieve the 120 and/or 36 advanced total hours required for a degree.
12. Students who complete a four-hour biological anthropology and/or archeology course at another institution may have course(s) evaluated by the Chair of the Department to determine credit for ANTH 2414 and/or 2415 can be assigned.