The Center for Archaeological Studies at Texas State University-San Marcos was founded to:
- promote archaeological and anthropological research in the New and Old Worlds;
- conduct archaeological investigations for federal, state, and local governments as well as private entities as required by law;
- assist in the cultural resource management of sites associated with Texas Rivers Center at Spring Lake and other sites on Texas State's campus;
- provide student training in the field of archaeology through direct research experience;
- support public education through a better understanding of anthropology, including archaeology, in addition to history and the preservation of cultural resources.